Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

time to insure my tongue?

I can now add 'bagel taste-tester' to my resume.

A friend met a local fellow recently returned from a decade in Prague. He has decided what Belgrade 'needs' is bagels. So he gathered together a focus group of North Americans to test his wares.

Taste-testing is something I could get into. The bagels were alright - best I have had in Serbia, but that's not saying too much. I have made my own bagels, so I could talk about things like the amount of steam in the oven with a modicum of authority. I don't spend much time here being an authority on anything.

But does Belgrade need bagels? Not at all. They are not something that I miss in the slightest (although others at the gathering said that they are the North American food that they miss the most). There is djevrek here - a round bread sold everywhere. It doesn't seem like bagels would have much of niche.

But good luck to him, I would be happy to reprise my role as a taste tester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home